We all know about pet names. You and your girl call each other all sorts of adorable things. But what do you call your friends? Your butch friends. Here’s a couple I see used frequently, but I’m not sure how cool they all are. There’s really only 2 or 3 I use here. I hope y’all will add some more.
1. Bud – This one never feels right for me. Maybe it’s too Fast Times at Ridgemont High for me. I realize this dates me, but I think that’s my point. It’s a bit old.
2. Buddy – Maybe for a friend who’s still in primary school. Otherwise, I say only if you’re drinking, like when you are helping each other out of the strip club “I love you, Buddy! Help me find my hotel.”
3. Brah – If you accompany it with the hang loose sign and you aren’t carrying a surfboard, you might be a tool. Otherwise, can be a good one.
4. Bro – Yes and no, right? Is that butch really your bro? Tread lightly. I use this with my bromance and it works (but he’s a dude, see below).
6. Friend – safe, familiar. Seems more popular with people from the Midwest.
7. Man – Obviously.
8. Pal – Fine if you are in your sixties. Hey pal, want to watch the Golden Girls with me?
What other names do you call your friends?
It’s Butch to have butch friends. I don’t have enough. Be Butch.