Here’s 5 easy things you can do today to help protect the oceans:
1. Skip the straw and lid. Reusable cups and straws are best, but no one is perfect. Straws and lids don’t degrade. They are floating around our oceans. They get eaten or inhaled by sea life. Plastic is bad for sea life.
2. Don’t use products with micro-beads in them. Face scrubs and body washes with micro-beads are bad for the ocean because the beads are plastic. They don’t degrade. Down your drain they go, out to the ocean, eaten by the fish, and then back on your plate. Yum!
3. Properly dispose of your medications. The toilet or drain is not proper. It’s bad for our water supply and makes fish sick. Ask your pharmacy how to do it correctly.
4. Express yourself with rad reusable grocery bags. Let the store keep those plastic demons. My current bags are Avengers characters – Iron Man, Black Widow, The Hulk, and then the whole crew.
5. Don’t litter. Duh. Everyone knows that. In addition, if you see a piece of trash, pick it up. You might be keeping it out of the ocean.
Maybe go to the beach today. Take a deep breath and look out at the expanse of mesmerizing water you see. It is a wonderful reminder of just how small we are.
The oceans don’t need us, but we sure do need the oceans. It is Butch to take care of our oceans. Be Butch.